04 September 2018



"I've been a science educator all my adult life, and most of the essays collected here stem from the years when I was the inaugural Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science. When promoting science, I've long been an advocate of what I call the Carl Sagan school of thought: the visionary, poetic side of science, science to stir the imagination as opposed to the 'non-stick frying pan' school of thought. By the latter I mean the tendency to justify the expense of, for example, space exploration by reference to spin-offs such as the non-stick frying pan - a tendency I have compared to an attempt to justify music as good exercise for the violinist's right arm" (Richard Dawkins - Science in the Soul)

1 comment:

alexandra g. said...

Na linha (ou cardápio) do Food for Thought :)
A ler, absolutamente!