20 February 2020

Derek Jarman and friends 
in Dungeness (mais aqui)


"Recently Jarman has campaigned against the closure of St Bartholomew's Hospital. Once again, he was just really talking about himself: 'There's a good deal of fun about the place. And I don't think you could get treatment like that anywhere else in the world. It's state of the art, both in the treatment, and in the freedom you're given. 'Derek, we're going to give you this, this and that.' But if you were to say 'I honestly don't want these, Mark', he'd say, 'It's up to you'. How long do you carry on against the inevitable? Do you let it happen? There is that freedom for you to say, 'end of treatment'.' There is a line in Blue: 'We all contemplated suicide. We hoped for euthanasia.' 'I just wanted to know what my doctor would think,' Jarman says. 'He was very, very uncommittal about it. I said that I really didn't want to end up an absolute wreck, that I'd prefer to be quietly terminated. We discussed it, and he didn't really say anything apart from a tacit agreement that it might be a possibility. What's the point of hanging on grimly if it's just a few agonising weeks? The funny thing is, if you are very unwell you don't register everything, you just come and go, half-conscious. I told one of the sisters that it's worse when you get better, when you begin to feel the pain'"(daqui; ver também aqui)

No comments: