13 October 2008

BOB, FRANK & AL
(prosseguindo daqui)



"In the weeks before recording [Oh Mercy], I kept asking Dan Lanois, 'Have you heard from Bob? Have you heard any songs?' Then, a week before we were due to start, we received a cassette from Bob. I thought, 'Great, we're going to hear some songs'. There was this little note: 'This 'll give you a good idea'. Dan and Mark Howard and I sat down to listen - and this Al Jolson music started. We were like 'What the fuck?'. So we fast-forwarded it. It was a whole tape of Al Jolson. We looked back at Bob's note: 'Listen to it. You can learn a lot'. When Bob arrived, though, I'd sort of forgotten this. Then, one evening, something came up about his favourite singers, who were influences, especially when it comes to phrasing. Bob said several times that phrasing was everything. And he said: 'My two favourite singers are Frank Sinatra and Al Jolson'. And I thought, wow, now I get it. I asked who his favourite songwriters were. 'Gordon Lightfoot and Kris Kristofferson. Those are the guys'. (Malcolm Burns, engenheiro de som, na "Uncut" de Novembro, 2008)

(2008)

No comments: