03 December 2013

BABY IT'S YOU
 


"My father used to play me classic 50's songs all the time when I was a kid - we would listen to Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Paul Anka and Roy Orbison. One song really stood out for me, and that was the Shirelles version of Baby It's You. The vocals are incredible- they're tough yet vulnerable, and are delivered in a dreamy yet highly emotional way. I wanted to try and get the essence of the song through just my guitar and my voice. I like unexpected twists in music, and the sense of being taken on a journey, which is why I begin my version in a minor key, which then gradually travels towards the major key of the song. 

This performance of Baby It's You was recorded in Toulouse at Le Bikini, on the 27Th of September 2011, during the first few weeks of my 7 week European tour. Filmmaker Emma Nathan travelled with us for five weeks, compiling footage from my various shows. This video documents my time in Toulouse, Clermont-Ferrand, Bordeaux, Montpellier, Marseilles, Valencia and Strasbourg." Anna Calvi, 2011

No comments: