11 March 2010

SAY IT LOUD, I'M BETO AND I'M PROUD



"Five years ago, when I wrote 'Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa' and I namechecked Peter Gabriel, I wasn't thinking of him as a person, I was almost using his name as an adjective. To have him then cover the song, and meet him in person, is something I'd never have imagined happening. It's incredible. After he did the cover we did an interview together. And while he didn't give me specific career advice, I remember the journalist asking him something like 'Should musicians have to come from a working-class background to be properly rock'n'roll?'. He said he thought that was just a bullshit myth that people, especially in England, fixate upon. I've always remembered that. Class was never an issue for him. As I understand it, he went to boarding school and his music never shied away from being intellectual. He never 'slummed it' or put on airs in a way as to lie about who he was". (Ezra Koenig, Vampire Weekend, "Mojo" de Abril, 2010)

(2010)

2 comments:

marta morais said...

Coitados destes gajos, levam às costas a carga de serem betinhos, que é muito mais forte que a da música que fazem, é lixado.

João Lisboa said...

Eles até vivem muito bem com isso. E a música é óptima.